Apple and Blueberry Crumble (my FAV)
The following recipe (modified from a Barefoot Contessa Peach and Blueberry pie recipe) yields enough for one regular pie PLUS one smaller pie (for neighbor, friend, etc.)
For the Fruit:
4-5 large fuji apples (peeling optional), diced
2 containers blueberries (rinsed)
2 T lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
For the Crumble:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 lb (1 stick) softened butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray pie dishes w cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine diced apples, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, and flour. Mix gently and set aside.
- In smaller bowl, combine all ingredients for the crumble, mixing well with wooden spoon.
- Gently pour fruit mixture into the two pie dishes.
- Using a spoon and optionally your fingers, spread the crumble topping over fruit.
- Bake at 350 for approx 1 hour, or until top is lightly browned/crisp.
- Be sure to place a cookie sheet on a rack underneath to collect overflow.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Our Mema Patterson always makes this delicous and festive cake for the little ones. It is so beautiful and always a hit!
Store bought yellow cake
Cool whip topping
- Bake yellow cake according to box directions.
- Let cool.
- Spread cool whip over top.
- Decorate with blueberries and strawberries, either in random pattern, American flag, stripes, etc.
Chocolate Berry Parfait
1 1/2 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Chocolate Flavor Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
1 cup thawed Cool Whip, divided
32 Nilla wafers, divided
2 cups mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries)
- Pour milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with whisk 2 min or until well blended. Gently stir in 1/2 cup of the whipped topping.
- Spoon half of the berries into 8 parfait (or large wine) glasses. Top evenly with half the pudding mixture. Reserve 8 wafers for later use. Stand 3 of the remaining wafers around inside edge of each glass. Repeat layers of berries and pudding mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Top with remaining whipped topping and reserved wafers (one on top of each) just before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
Watching the fireworks at Clague Park (unintentionally only yards away from where they were shooting them off, just beyond a gathering of trees, so we could not see)...it was by far the LOUDEST fireworks I have ever heard in my life....Earth-shaking, heart-stopping loudness....my poor kiddos (2 out of 3) were terrified!! Hopefully, I have not ruined the 4th of July holiday for them!
Some pics of prior 4th of July weekends: