Therefore, at the risk of sounding like June Cleaver (Leave it to Beaver) or Bree Van De Kamp (Desperate Housewives), both of which I am FAR from resembling, I am writing a little memo to myself for future entertaining references.... Just a few tips that I seem to forget somewhere in the space between parties....You would think I would learn my lesson from hosting one party to the next since we usually enjoy entertaining at least a few times each year. However, I always seem to cram too many to-do's into the final 24-48 hrs leading up to the party. In this case, I am blaming our massive excavation/water-proofing project that prohibited any entertaining throughout the past year, resulting in party-planning memory loss!
I always seem to forget how helpful it is to complete various tasks during the days PRIOR to throwing a party. These tasks are always more time-consuming and exhausting than anticipated...
Things NOT to do DAY OF party.
- Clean house
- Create or rearrange music playlists
- Re-organize bookshelves
- Grocery trip for food OR flowers - (ALWAYS do day before)
- Re-arrange furniture
- Relocate serving pieces, glassware, candlesticks, etc
- Polish silver (as applicable)
- Shuttle bins of toys to basement
- Wash/dry/replace kitchen chair slipcovers
Things NOT to do within final HOUR before party:
- Water outdoor flowers/bushes (esp after showering, too hot and sweaty!)
- Arrange flowers - can be time consuming and very messy, esp if you are dealing w/ unfamiliar varieties (in my recent case: lisianthus, green spray mums)
- Clothing selection (usually it is not an issue for me to pick this on the fly, but sometimes this can be a time sink upon any potential wardrobe malfunctions/indecisions!)
- Self-mani or pedi
- Toddler negotiations
Meanwhile, a few pics from getting ready for our party...I always forget to take pics of the final layout - table of food, tables/chairs outside, etc...It would be nice to have these for future reference, yet I forget EVERY time!
|I just love this little Eugenia plant I found at Lowes...added bonus, since there was only one left, I received a nice discount!|
|Channeling my inner 'Lucia' for those who know my Mom!|
|Bar cart (work in process)|