Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Flag Day! The American Flag in Interior Design and Ode to the Hobelman Home!

From The National Flag Day Foundation...


      "Our mission is to carry on the tradition of the first flag day observance. On June 14th, 1885, Bernard J. Cigrand, a 19 year old teacher at Stony Hill School, placed a 10 inch, 38- star flag in a bottle on his desk then assigned essays on the flag and its significance. This observance, commemorated Congresses adoption of the Stars and Stripes as the flag of the United States on June 14, 1777. This observance was also the beginning of Cigrand’s long years of fervent and devoted effort to bring about national recognition and observance of Flag Day. The crowning achievement of his life came at age fifty when President Wilson, on May 30, 1916, issued a proclamation calling for a nation wide observance of Flag Day. Then in 1949, President Truman signed an Act Of Congress designating the 14th day of June every year as National Flag Day. On June 14th, 2004, the 108th U.S. Congress voted unanimously on H.R. 662 that Flag Day originated in Ozaukee County, Waubeka Wisconsin."


In honor of this special holiday, I wanted to gather some design inspiration photos of using the American Flag in interior design...AND, I would like to dedicate this post to the family of one of my close childhood friends: the Hobelman Family.

Mr. and Mrs. Hobelman, I will never forget the first time I visited your home when I was a young girl.  I remember loving all of the Patriotic design touches, the red and blue color palette, the Early-American style furniture, the quilts, vintage trunks, and rocking chairs.  The look was fresh, summery, festive, and fun.  I remember telling my parents that "I wanted to buy their house, fully furnished when I grow up."

Ever since, I have always admired these Americana influences in interior design.  Occasionally, they can come across as kitschy or cheesy or over-done. But, when incorporated in a tasteful way, they create a warm, inviting, festive, and cozy home (as is yours, Hobelmans!!)

Below are a few inspiration photos...I think these ideas would be perfect for a boy's bedroom, family room, play room, or back porch.  Happy Flag Day and Enjoy!




















Just for fun, I wanted to share a few design inspiration photos with OTHER flags as well...





And here are a few more American Flag inspired items...


Vineyard Vines


Vineyard Vines

Vineyard Vines

Vineyard Vines

Mini Boden

Mini Boden

Mini Boden

Mini Boden

Mini Boden



Amazon


CB2

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Old Navy

Etsy

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

WS Home


No comments:

Post a Comment