Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Little Love for our Patio & A Few Photos from GNO & Random Spring Pics....

As we are heading into our 2nd summer in our new home, I wanted to give a little (design) love to our back patio.  Last summer, we were still getting settled, and we just made do with our patio furniture that we purchased twelve years (and 5 cities) ago.  Basically, just your standard wrought iron chairs and tables from Home Depot, (which endured wild climate changes from Boston to Atlanta, by the way!)  This year, the rust spots were screaming at me a little, so I decided it was time for an upgrade...

I researched patio furniture for days, and I have to say, this was a tough one!  First, outdoor patio can be SO expensive, and although I do believe you generally get what you pay for, I just did not want to invest a lot of money in outdoor furniture.  I found the perfect set through Costco, but they were out of stock online (and I needed delivery).  So, I ended up buying a set from Target, their Smith & Hawken Edgewood set in all weather wicker.  I have no clue how long it will last, but it was reasonably priced and I love how it creates a neutral backdrop for my boxwood plants, black cabana striped pillows and cushions, and hot pink flowers! I wanted to get the patio ready for a GNO (Girls Night Out) I was hosting for some neighborhood friends to kick off summer. 



Here are a few before and afters.....

BEFORE

AFTER



BEFORE

AFTER
AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER


BEFORE




AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER
AFTER

AFTER
AFTER

AFTER


AFTER



Cool view of Lake Erie on a stormy spring day

Cool view of Lake Erie on a stormy spring day



Beautiful Hydrangeas at local discount store, Marc's (each May)












I used painters tape to create a clear glass stripe against the gold sprayed glass vase

Found these cute little chalkboard stands at Michael's...yummy BHG Cucumber & Melon Sangria (recipe below)

I was trimming a tree in the yard and my 5-yr old suggested that I use the small branches as a little greenery arrangement, as she saw her grandmother do this in St. Louis last week!

Found these beautiful azalea plants at Petitti's Nursery in Avon



Again, found this little hanging chalkboard I used as a sign for front door
(hung behind my faux boxwood wreath)


Beautiful roses from Costco....always great selection and prices!




Pinterest idea....frozen water balloons help to keep drinks cool...




Some more pics from our GNO...Thankfully, we had beautiful weather!!

My "Buts & Guts" workout group, fun to catch up while NOT doing burpees or push-ups!




Group shot!














Had to include this one...my little ones, Charlie & Caroline trying to stay dry while watching their brother play soccer!!

Better Homes and Gardens Cucumber & Melon Sangria...

1 small honeydew melon
1 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced
12 fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup honey
1 750 mL bottle Sauvignon blanc or other semi-dry white wine
1 1-L bottle carbonated water (or I used Lime Lacroix, and a bit less?)
Optionally, add vodka to 'spike'

Directions:

1.) Cut melon in half; remove and discard seeds and rind. Cut melon into thin slices. In large pitcher, combine melon, cucumber, lime slices, and the 12 mint leaves. In a small bowl, stir together lime juice and honey until combined; pour over melon mixture. Add wine, stirring gently. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.

2.) To serve, stir in carbonated water. Ladle or pour into glasses. If desired, garnish w additional mint.

Note > I doubled this recipe to use for larger drink dispenser.

No comments:

Post a Comment