Monday, June 4, 2012

Favorite Sports Movies...

"Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it. "
Does this sound familiar? Herb Brooks (Kurt Russell) from the movie Miracle, based on the inspirational true story of the 1980 U.S. ice hockey team's Olympic victory over the Soviet Union.


Below is a link to the famous locker room speech by Herb Brooks (Kurt Russell in one of his top career performances, in my opinion) in the movie...


Below is a link to a cute youtube video of a little boy who eloquently gives the speech from the movie...



OK, so I have figured out that blogging is something I enjoy, particularly when my husband travels for work (which is often as of late).  Of course after the kids go down, I could (or should) be re-organizing bins of toys, purging storage shelves in the basement, catching up on stacks of magazines/novels, or possibly watching some mindless guilty-pleasure TV, but I find that blogging about random (usually design or parenting related) topics is often far more interesting...

My husband and I are huge sports-movie geeks.  We absolutely love watching them, and we have been known to watch flicks such as Miracle, Invincible, and Seabiscuit, among others, over and over again.

There are several 'classics' that I am embarrassed to admit I have not yet seen (shame on me!)  Believe me, these are on my movie to-do list.  But, for fun, I wanted to list some of our favorites, in NO particular order, as follows...what are YOUR favorites? Please share!


  • Miracle

  • Rocky

  • Invincible

  • Rudy

  • Remember the Titans

  • Glory Road

  • Coach Carter

  • We are Marshall

  • The Express

  • Seabiscuit

  • Bull Durham

  • Hoosiers

  • Finding Forrester

  • Bend It Like Beckham

  • Karate Kid

  • 8 Seconds

  • Friday Night Lights

  • Tin Cup

  • The Greatest Game Ever Played

  • The Legend of Bagger Vance
  • Cinderella Man

  • Million Dollar Baby
Some more light-hearted sports movie flicks worth noting are as follows...
  • Caddyshack

  • Varsity Blues

  • Jerry McGuire

  • Stealing Home (for an old friend, Mo Vasquez Shifrin)

  • The Cutting Edge (for an old friend, Claire Danis Todorovich)




No comments:

Post a Comment