Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11th Anniversary of 9.11.01

In honor and remembrance of those who lost their lives or loved ones from the terrorist attacks on our World Trade Center on September 11, 2001, I wanted to share some striking and heartbreaking poems and photos I collected from Google Images, Facebook posts, and other sources.






If I Knew

~ Dr. H Solomon

If I knew it would be the last time
That I'd see you fall asleep,
I would tuck you in more tightly
and pray the Lord, your soul to keep.


If I knew it would be the last time
that I see you walk out the door,
I would give you a hug and kiss
and call you back for one more.


If I knew it would be the last time
I'd hear your voice lifted up in praise,
I would video tape each action and word,
so I could play them back day after day.


If I knew it would be the last time,
I could spare an extra minute
to stop and say "I love you,"
instead of assuming you would KNOW I do.


If I knew it would be the last time
I would be there to share your day,
well I'm sure you'll have so many more,
so I can let just this one slip away.


For surely there's always tomorrow
to make up for an oversight,
and we always get a second chance
to make everything just right.


There will always be another day
to say "I love you,"
And certainly there's another chance
to say our "Anything I can do?"


But just in case I might be wrong,
and today is all I get,
I'd like to say how much I love you
and I hope we never forget.


Tomorrow is not promised to anyone,
young or old alike,
And today may be the last chance
you get to hold your loved one tight.


So if you're waiting for tomorrow,
why not do it today?
For if tomorrow never comes,
you'll surely regret the day,


That you didn't take that extra time
for a smile, a hug, or a kiss
and you were too busy to grant someone,
what turned out to be their one last wish.


So hold your loved ones close today,
and whisper in their ear,
Tell them how much you love them
and that you'll always hold them dear


Take time to say "I'm sorry,"
"Please forgive me," "Thank you," or "It's okay."
And if tomorrow never comes,
you'll have no regrets about today.


List of “Don’t Forgets” and “Remembers”

(In a New York classroom one year after 9-11, students composed the following 9-11 poem. A relative of the teacher had perished on that tragic day in Tower One of the World Trade Center. The victim left behind a 3-year-old.)
We were eight.
Before September 11th, we would wake up with a list of “Don’t Forgets”
Don’t forget to wash your face
Don’t forget to brush your teeth
Don’t forget to do your homework
Don’t forget to wear your jacket
Don’t forget to clean your room
Don’t forget to take a bath


After September 11th, we wake up with a list of “Remembers”
Remember to greet the sun each morning
Remember to enjoy every meal
Remember to thank your parents for their hard work
Remember to honor those who keep you safe
Remember to value each person you meet
Remember to respect other’s beliefs
Now we are nine.



Zoe Koosoulis (L) and her daughter Eleni help to paint a paint-by-numbers painting of the skyline of lower Manhattan before the terrorist attacks brought down the World Trade Center during a preview of the National September 11 Memorial Museum's memorial exhibition, on September 10, 2012 in New York City. The Koosoulis family lost their daughter Danielle during the September 1,1 attacks. The event, which was held by the Voices of September 11th Day of Remembrance Information Forum, featured 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels and 9/11 Memorial Museum Director Alice Greenwald and displayed some of the artwork that will eventually be displayed at the museum when it opens.
Pictures of loved ones killed in the September 11 terrorist attacks that were made by family members are displayed at a preview of the National September 11 Memorial Museum's memorial exhibition on September 10, 2012 in New York City. The event, which was held by the Voices of September 11th Day of Remembrance Information Forum, featured 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels and 9/11 Memorial Museum Director Alice Greenwald and displayed some of the artwork that will eventually be displayed at the museum when it opens. New York City and the country are preparing for the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 .

This aerial photo shows soldiers creating a formation to spell out "9/11 we remember".

We will never forget.


"This flag is created from the names of those who perished in the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Now and forever it represents their immortality. We shall never forget them."


The Sphere sculpture stood between to two towers























  • City College at Montana State University Billings has been given a piece of steel recovered from the World Trade Center. That piece of steel is incorporated into a new COMMUNITY 9/11 MEMORIAL on the MSU Billings West End campus.
  • A dedication ceremony took place on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2011.









No comments:

Post a Comment