Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Family Room Rug Search....

Addendum....We finally found the rug! Luckilly, someone tipped me off to a great source in Cleveland, Larchmere Oriental Rugs...We still need to settle on furniture, paint color, etc., but I think it is already an improvement...






Although I love the richness, and 'old-world' feel (think, Downton Abbey) of the below antique Persian/Oriental/etc rugs, I also love the contemporary feel of the bold, geometric graphic patterns as follows...

Specifically, I love the David Hicks rugs often presented by One Kings Lane and/or Stark Carpets.  I have purchased two for my boys rooms, and I have been really happy with their design, color, and quality....




I bought this one for my son, Charlie's nautical themed bedroom












Some more from Stark outlet in Charlotte....

LOVE this, but the approx $10K price tag for a larger 10x14 is beyond our price point...
LOVE this, but the approx $10K price tag for a larger 10x14 is beyond our price point...





Some more David Hicks designs....

Apparently, they now offer his designs in marble and limestone flooring...beautiful!






LOVE this one, esp after seeing it on these stairs.  A Definite possibility for our family room....




Jonathan Adler offers a custom, design-your-own rug, some examples as follows:


Cococozy store featuring some custom Adler rugs...




With regard to Orientals/Persians/Indian/Moroccan patterned rugs, although I absolutely LOVE them, and currently have several in our home, I am rather picky.  I generally like the hand-knotted one-of-a-kind, antique variety...but of course, with their uniqueness, often comes a hefty price tag.  Yet, I have found mine through sources such as auctions, antique stores/markets, or in some cases, via family-hand-me-downs. In terms of color, I gravitate to the lighter, 'rust' or orangey-reds, with accents of golds and blues, navy, turquoise, etc. 

Regarding the machine made, there are so many on the market today that are mass-produced, and I just think they can lose their authentic feel.  However, with some discretion and time, you CAN find some good-looking, more affordable ones from sources such as Safavieh, OKL, Pottery Barn, Horchow, Kerastan, etc... 

ADDENDUM: Well, after spending TONS of time researching these online....I know one thing for sure about Persian rugs...I could search all day and perhaps never find the one I am looking for within our price range...sadly, I am THAT picky!  It just seems that the prices (of the ones I love, sadly) easily creep into the stratosphere in the realm of, "OMG, I could buy a car for that price"....and I cannot rationalize such an investment.  From what I have learned, these antique and semi-antique Persian rugs were made with vegetable dyes which break down over time and use.  It is the break down of these organic dyes that ultimately give these rugs a beautiful aged patina.  Sadly, you just cannot replicate this patina with the newer rugs.  I have not given up, but I have to put this project on hold for a while to keep my sanity... 

A couple currently in our home...
Our dining room when we first moved in..
Dining room now...
Charlie and Caroline playing under the table in our dining room...
Our entry, foyer rug..

Some antique rug inspirations...

Elle Decor
Downton Abbey



Jeffrey Alan Marks
Jeffrey Alan Marks
Kathryn Ireland
From Rug Mart Houston



As a lover of strong graphic patterns, I am open to a Moroccan rug such as this...

Some rugs I saw online that I love via bukhara-carpets.com...

An example of my favorite color scheme for Persian rugs (the soft 'rust' or lighter red tones) - Antique Heriz bukhara-carpets.com










Horchow


From Nazmiyal Collection (NY)









From Fred Moheban Gallery









 From Amiri Rugs (Atlanta)






From McDhurries in Rocky River...

 




Peshawar from Pakistan

Peshawar from Pakistan



Peshawar from Pakistan














An old friend from STL has his own rug store, Ageless Rug Treasures, in Webster Groves.  He kindly sent me a few photos of some options...

http://www.agelessrugs.com/

#1 


#2


#3


#4


#5


#6





#7


#8


#9


#10



1 comment:

  1. Some very beautiful rugs picture share in this which i like personally as well. But these are just pictures. If any one want to buy handmade area rugs for your family or home then once visit qaleen.com

    ReplyDelete